Baked Pasta with Chicken Sausage and PeppersPosted: February 16, 2012
So I’ve decided in my years of entertaining (jokes) that the best thing to serve to a crowd is baked pasta
You can seriously never go wrong with any type of baked pasta dish..whether it be mac and cheese, tuna noodle casserole, baked penne with four cheeses..you get the idea..they are all AWESOME..and total crowd pleasers
So when I was trying to think of something to make for dinner on valentines day (don’t worry there was no romantic date involved), my mind immediately went to pasta
so baked penne with chicken sausage and peppers it was! Its super simple, and super delicious! here’s how ya make it!
First start off by sauteing 1 sliced onion and 2 cloves of chopped garlic in a pan over medium heat with a little olive oil
Cook the onions for about 10 minutes, stirring consistently, until they get nice and brown. Add in some red pepper flake, salt, and pepper
(Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta)..then add in 2 sliced bell peppers
Cook for about 4 minutes until the peppers start to soften, and then add in about a cup of spinach
Once the spinach is wilted, add in the sliced chicken sausages, and cook for a couple more minutes, and then turn the heat off
Once the pasta is cooked and drained, in a large mixing bowl combine the penne, chicken sausage and pepper mixture, 1 jar of store bought marinara sauce (my favorite is Rao’s), and 1/4 cup of goat cheese
YUM..pour the pasta into a large non stick baking dish, and top with some shredded mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan cheese
Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes until the top is slightly brown
hearty, satisfying, delicious, PASTA. I mean this couldn’t really turn out bad right?..this dish got great reviews from my friends, so if your looking for an easy dish to make for company this is a great, delicious option!
oh and you’re going to want to go back for seconds..trust me.
Baked Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Peppers
Total time: 50 minutes
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flake
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 4 chicken sausages (I use the store bought, pre-cooked ones)
- 1 pound whole wheat penne (or any other type of pasta you like)
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and pre heat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In a saute pan, cook the sliced onions, garlic, and olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add in the pasta to the water, and cook for about 9 minutes until the pasta is al’dente
- Add the red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the onions and garlic and stir
- Add in the sliced peppers, and cook for about 3 minutes until peppers start to soften
- Add in the spinach and stir until the spinach starts to wilt (about 2 minutes)
- Add in the chicken sausages, stir, and remove from heat
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken sausage and pepper mixture, cooked pasta, marinara sauce, and goat cheese.
- Pour the pasta mixture into a large baking dish and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan cheese
- Bake for about 35 minutes until the top is slightly brown
- Serve warm!
Today is my first day working in Vita Nova (the student run restaurant on my campus) that was built for the sole purpose to teach hotel restaurant management majors how to work in, and operate a fine dining restaurant!
I am really excited!! I am starting off in the kitchen, and today I will be at the “carving” station..which means I’ll be in charge of making the ceaser salad, carving the turkey, and preparing the creme brulee for dessert!
Oh and in case your wondering I will be decked out in full chef gear..black checkered pants, and a chef coat with my name on it..its a pretty sexy uniform
Gotta go look over some notes before class!
I hope everyone has a great day!