Easy Mexican QuinoaPosted: April 24, 2012
so last night I made dinner in about 20 minutes
and it was awesome
I also used a new product!
Tricolor Quinoa! Now we all know I love quinoa so when I was at Trader Joes a couple weeks ago I picked up this bag
and because we love mexican food and mexican night in this apartment I decided to get creative and make Mexican Quinoa
First up in a small soup pot I placed 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of chicken stock and 1/2 of a packet of taco seasoning
cover and bring to a boil
Meanwhile, heat a non-stick saute pan over med-high heat with a few sprays of cooking spray. Add in 1 chopped onion and 2 cloves diced garlic
once the quinoa comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for another 10-15 minutes
Let the onions cook for about 4 minutes and then add in 1 chopped red bell pepper, 2 chopped green bell peppers, and the rest of the taco seasoning
Cook for about 5 minutes until the peppers start to cook down a bit
Then add in 1 can drained black beans and 1 can diced tomatoes
cook for about 4 more minutes
Then add in the cooked quinoa
mound of quinoa!
stir all together and its done!
oh but don’t forget your toppings!
I put out a mix of chopped cilantro, avocado, salsa verde (SO good!!), cheddar cheese, and hot sauce
this was my bowl..a nice hearty serving! this dinner was so delicious and SO easy
This will definitely become a rotation in our weekly meals!
Easy Mexican Quinoa
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pack taco seasoning (I use McCormick)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 bell peppers (whichever color you like!) chopped
- 1 140z can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14oz can diced tomatoes
Topping Options: Shredded Cheddar cheese, chopped avocado, lime juice, cilantro, hot sauce
- Place quinoa, chicken stock, and half of the packet of taco seasoning in a small sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil
- Meanwhile, heat a medium non-stick saute pan over med-high heat and spray a few sprays of cooking spray. Add in the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes
- Next add in the peppers and the rest of the taco seasoning. Cook for 4 more minutes
- Once the quinoa comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes (until all the liquid is absorbed)
- To the pepper mixture add in the black beans and diced tomatoes and cook for 4 more minutes. Season to taste
- Add in the cooked quinoa to the pepper mixture, stir to combine, and serve warm!
- Don’t forget to add the delicious toppings!
I hope everyone has a great day!
Question for ya!: Favorite quinoa recipe?! Feel free to share links!
I think thai fried quinoa will always be my favorite!