Strawberry Trifle RecipePosted: June 11, 2012
yesterday was finally a nice pool day to lay out!
so that’s pretty much what i did all day until i had to go to work at 5
for lunch I made myself a huge salad to eat out by the pool
in the mix: grilled chicken, avocado, scallions, orange peppers, yellow grape tomatoes, and mango salsa for my dressing
whole foods mango salsa is SO good
i also tried the kale chips that I bought
i wish i could say i was a fan but i thought they were kind of gross..i think if i made my own homemade kale chips (which I still want to try) I would like them a lot better!
so instead I had some cheese crackers and a few pretzels
mmm i love cheese crackers
my parents were having company over yesterday so I offered to whip up an easy dessert
I didn’t do a play by play but its super easy so here is the recipe!
Servings: About 6
- 1/2 packet instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 80z container fat free cool whip
- 4oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 frozen pound cake (i used Sara Lee pound cake) or homemade, cut up into bite sized pieces. (Or Angel Food Cake would work really well!)
- 2 cups chopped strawberries (about 2 pints worth)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar free strawberry jam (0ptional)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (optional)
- Combine the pudding mix and milk in a bowl and beat for about 5 minutes until the pudding starts to come together.
- Next add in the cream cheese and orange juice and beat together until smooth
- fold in the cool whip and set aside.
- mix strawberries with 1 tbsp of sugar and set aside
- next comes the assembly..in the bottom of a clear bowl or trifle dish add a layer of the cool whip mixture, then a layer of pound cake, followed by a layer of strawberries
- repeat this process until you get to the top of the bowl
- for optional touches, melt the strawberry jam in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add the blueberries on top of the trifle and drizzle the melted jam on top
- Refrigerate for at least an hour (this is a great dessert to make ahead of time)
A few notes on the recipe: If I was using a trifle dish I probably would of doubled the recipe. If you were to double the recipe using angel food cake you probably only need one full angel food cake.
i came home last night from work around 12am and inhaled about 7 bites of this
alrighty time to go get ready for my work out and then pool time! 🙂
i hope everyone has a great day!
Question for ya!: What is your favorite summertime dessert?
mine is probably ice cream, or fruit crumbles, or trifles..clearly i like a lot of desserts:)