25 things i’ve learned from waitressingPosted: August 12, 2012
last night was my last shift at the restaurant before I go back to school
I’ve been waitressing on and off for the past 2 years and working in restaurants for the past 3
in my opinion I think everyone should work in a restaurant at least once in their lives..it has taught me a lot
in light of my Sunday boredom I compiled a list of things I’ve learned and taken away from waitressing thus far
so here we go!
25 things I’ve learned from waitressing:
1. patience is most definitely a virtue
2. kill people with kindness
3. learn when and when not to defend yourself and speak your mind
4. not to EVER bring cheerios to a restaurant to let my child snack on
5. also not to let my future little children run aimlessly around restaurants
6. when I’m on my feet for 7 hours my feet ache a..lot
7. there are really nice people in this world, and really not so nice people
8. people like to complain..about everything
9. always tip 20% even if the service wasn’t 100%
10. to not let little things get to me
11. managers can feel very entitled
12. co-workers can be great friends
13. working makes me hangggry
14. sometimes white lies are appropriate
15. some people are just very..strange.
16. waiting on a “fun” table is actually enjoyable
17. having lots of cash is awesome yet dangerous..and can also make you look like a stripper depositing 35 1$ bills at the bank
18. i’ve learned to be an expert at rolling silverware..
19. seeing and delivering alcoholic beverages reallly makes me want one
20. sometimes after a long, hard shift all I want is a class of wine and some cereal
21. to not be afraid to ask for help when help is needed
22. if people leave a 10% tip when service has been flawless..they have clearly never worked in a restaurant
23. respect the people you work with, and always offer to help
24. joke about tables to lighten frustration..just not in front of the table obviously
25. referring back to number one..patience, patience, patience
Question for ya!: What is one thing you’ve learned from waitressing or any other job you’ve had?